Kora Kimpel is a new-media designer and design consultant and has worked successfully for various private customers and research projects for many years. She has been a Professor of Interface and Interaction Design at the Berlin University of the Arts (UdK) since 2004. She was Vice President of the UdK from 2012 to 2015. At present, she is part of the management team of the hybrid platform, a joint project platform of the TU Berlin and the UdK Berlin.
As a research scholar, Kora Kimpel investigates the potentials of digital media, from physical computing to generative design modules. Her additional interests include the development of methods and approaches in creative and innovation processes. Since 2009, Kora Kimpel has been cooperating with the Fraunhofer Center for Responsible Research and Innovation in the development of exploratory, user-centered research designs and creativity methods, in addition to functions as a reviewer – among others for the Berlin Senate – various jury memberships, teaching activities in the international environment.Since 2008, she has been a member of the board for the German Society for Design Theory and Research (DGTF).
Stations: Kora Kimpel was born on 02.06.1968 in Hilden, Germany. She studied industrial design with a focus on interface design at the HbK Braunschweig and the Universidad de Bellas Artes Barcelona. From 1999-2002, Kora Kimpel was Design Director Online Strategy at MetaDesign Berlin.
-> Universität der Künste Berlin
-> The German Society for Design Theory and Research
-> Fraunhofer IAO | Center for Responsible Research and Innovation CeRRI
-> Project Website Shaping Future
Currently: Member of the board of DGTF, Berlin (The German Society for Design Theory and Research)
Currently: Judge on various panels, incl. Lead Award and German National Merit Foundation; out:put-Award, Amsterdam, Netherlands
Since 2015: Reviewer, Volkswagen Foundation
2016: Member of the evaluation group “transfer audit”, Stifterverband für die Deutsche Wissenschaft e.V.
2010-2015: Member of the conference committee, German Society for Design Theory and Research (DGTF), Berlin
2015: Member of the evaluation group “quality management”, University of Applied Arts Vienna, Austria
2015: Guest lecturer, Tama University of the Arts, Tokio, Japan
2012-2015: Member of the Advisory Board, “Community Now? Concepts of Community in Israel and Germany”, DGTF in collaboration with the Bezalel Academy for Arts and Design, Jerusalem, Israel
2012: Guest lecturer, Taipeh National University of the Arts, Taiwan
2010-2011: Member of the Advisory Board for the potential assessment of the Berlin design sector
2002-2012: Course co-ordinator for the Masters in “Leadership in Digital Communication”, Berlin Career College, UdK Berlin
Since 2015 Project leader and coordinator of the Hybrid Plattform, Berlin Technical University (TU) and Berlin University of the Arts
2015-2017 Dean of Studies, Faculty of Architecture, Media and Design, UdK Berlin
2012-2015 Executive Vice President, Berlin University of the Arts
2010-2013 Vice Dean, Faculty of Architecture, Media and Design, Berlin University of the Arts
Since 2009 Design Expert and Consultant „Process Design and Transformative Methods“, at Fraunhofer Center for Responsible Research and Innovation (FH CeRRI), Berlin
Since 2004 Full Professor of New Media/ Interface- and Interactiondesign, Berlin University of the Arts (UdK)
2001-2004 Founding member of 5.6 Design Studio
2001-2003 Assistant Professor, UdK Berlin
1999-2002 Design Director “Online Strategy”, MetaDesign Berlin
1995-1999 Lecturer, Freelance Designer and Curator
• Kimpel, K. et al: Shaping Future Co-Designing future technologies. Unfrozen 2016, Swiss Design Network, Switzerland 2016.
• Design Prototyping for Research Planning and Technological Development. In: Gengnagel, C. et al. (Eds.): Rethink! Prototyping. Heidelberg 2016, 23-35.
• Kimpel, K. et al.: Shaping Future New Methods for Participatory Technology Foresight. Conference Paper: PACITA 2015, Prague 2015.
• Heidingsfelder, M., Kimpel, K. et al.: Shaping Future – Adapting design know-how to reorient innovation towards public preferences. In: Technological Forecast and Social Change 101, 2015, 291-298.
• Design Perspectives 2 – Design in Research. In: Form 260, 2015, 76-80.
• Rehberg, M., Kimpel, K. et al.: Tangible Meets Fictional. Shaping the Future, a Participatory Methodology. In: Michalek, T. et al. (Eds.): Technology Assessment and Policy Areas of Great Transitions. Prague 2014, 127-132.
• Schraudner, M., Seewald, B., Kimpel, K.: Discover Markets – participatory methods for integrating user experience. Conference paper: PACITA 2013 – Technology Assessment and Policy Areas of Great Transitions. Prague 2013.
• Kimpel, K. et al.: Shaping the future – participatory methodology at the intersection of design and technology. Conference paper: PACITA 2013 – Technology Assessment and Policy Areas of Great Transitions. Prague 2013.
• Kimpel, K. et al.: From Design to Impact. In: European IFA Academic Seminar: Participatory Foresight for smarter Futures – From Design to Impact. Winterthur 2013.
• Mareis, C., Joost, G., Kimpel, K. (Eds.): Entwerfen – Wissen – Produzieren: Designforschung im Anwendungskontext. Bonn 2010.